Wednesday, October 14, 2015

RTE (Real Time Engagement)?



Blink:
Before Web 2.0, we would meet people and partake in live conversations.  Since the advent of Web 2.0, we connect with people online and engage.  With some Web 2.0 tools like Twitter we even enjoy RTE (Real Time Engagement).  Or do we?

Read On:
Last week I was reminded of the real-time nature of Twitter when its leader, Jack Dorsey was in New York to hype Twitter’s new advertising features/products to better compete with Facebook and Google.  According to Dorsey, Twitter still is the public square where people gather to discuss live events like presidential debates, entertainment awards, social movements, etc. – RTE (Real Time Engagement). 

What about Twitter day to day?  Based on all my participation since 2009, I have concluded there is a whole a lot of broadcasting and very little listening.  Why?  My hypothesis: Dashboard management tools like Hootsuite have reduced engagement.  They allow people to load up their tweets (24/7), broadcast and not have to worry about engaging live.  I can count on one hand the number of people in my Tribe that I engage with daily since they are online at the same time or via some form of acknowledgement utilizing Twitter etiquette (e.g., retweets). 

My point: Engagement is all about a two way conversation where people communicate and exchange information.  Sometimes asking that second or third question is a great way to enhance engagement compared to hitting a social media like button that has become standard procedure.  Why did you like my comment?  My conclusion: There is no substitute when it comes to RTE (Real Time Engagement) to have a live, offline conversation with someone you know or a stranger you are sharing the same physical space with.

Rediscover the pleasure of RTE (Real Time Engagement).


3 comments:

  1. So true... Twitter reminds me of a song... everybody's talkin' at me... I don't hear a word they're sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jim. Right on target. It reminded me of our own RTE this summer when we met during your trip to Connecticut and shared a drink in person after years of being online colleagues and friends. Next time we'll get together in Philly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Jim. Right on target. It reminded me of our own RTE this summer when we met during your trip to Connecticut and shared a drink in person after years of being online colleagues and friends. Next time we'll get together in Philly!

    ReplyDelete