Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Second Question?



Blink:
How many elevator speeches did you deliver in 2014?  Better yet, after you delivered your elevator speech, did you fully engage while networking?                                                                                                                              
Read On:
The true meaning of engagement as it relates to networking according to Webster’s is the act of engaging; engross, to induce to participate.  Personally, 2014 was another banner year of networking for me, both offline (conferences, travel, local events) and online (LinkedIn, Twitter).  Candidly, I retired my elevator speech unless I was asked: “What do you do?”  I probably could count on one hand the number of people that asked me that question in 2014, which brings me to the point of today’s post.  Master networkers value engagement.  Accordingly, asking questions is the trademark of a master networker.  One tool they utilize when engaging, is they always ask that second question.  Maybe even a third and fourth question.  By doing so, they end up listening and learning something special about you which enables them to circle back for future engagement.  Sometimes by asking additional questions, the master networker validates we live in a small world (a.k.a. Six Degrees of Separation). 

Will you be doing anything special over the holidays?  Do you plan to unplug over the holidays?  Do you have any special plans for New Year’s Eve?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  

2 comments:

  1. Networking is like courting/dating in my opinion. It takes time to develop a meaningful relationship and some people you will get to that point with and others you will not.
    It takes time. Something many people don't want to do. I have people invite me to connect on LindedIn in the morning and if I accept they are pitching me their service/product in the afternoon. It just doesn't work for me no matter what they have to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete