Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Expiration Dates



Blink:
Control the daily flood of information + take time out to think = common sense.  Yesterday I was reminded of this winning formula that I first introduced back in 2009 when I threw out a pile of old periodicals that had gathered dust.

Read On:
The title of my old post was Timeout.  The Blink read: “Everyone gets so much information all day long they lose their common sense.”  Gertrude Stein 

The spine of my post addressed how all the daily information I was consuming was beginning to overwhelm me – email, my daily social media rounds, blogs, digital newsletters, etc.  Remember that was back in 2009.  Now it is 2013 and thanks to being proactive, my online time and community have geometrically grown.  However, I am proud that I have been taking time out to think, thus walk the talk.  Unfortunately in the process, the periodicals I subscribe to have taken a back burner.  Reminds me of the leftovers or open containers of unused food beyond their expiration dates gathering in a refrigerator; science projects that develop mold. 

My recommendation: We now live in an era of TMI (Too Much Information).  If you are on information overload and have accumulated piles of periodicals beyond their expiration dates, toss them!  It is more important to take time out to think so you can refresh your common sense.

Take time out for current thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. I use the A-B-C method: Anything I can't deal with immediately (which is my preference), I categorize as an A, a B, or a C item --- both tangible and digital items. Throughout the week I deal with the A's, as well as the B's (as I have time). C's get a cursory glance from time-to-time. Every couple weeks I empty my C box, tossing most of it (but sometimes re-categorizing a couple things into B's or even A's). That helps ME keep it all under control. (Some would say that is OCD, and to them I would say "of course it is".)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point, Steven. It is very easy to hold on to articles and magazines for later consumption rather than toss them out because of that fear that we might be missing out on something.

    I remember that being an issue a few years back with Twitter where a few of my friends admitted to feeling anxious that if they weren't monitoring their stream, they might miss out on something.

    As you astutely pointed out, what's important today is not trying to read everything that crosses our desk; rather, it's taking the time to reflect and assess how the insights we have gained to date can help us going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes profound sense. It leaves time for hte one throttle that is most difficult to ignore, and that is real people, the real live connections that the TMI-world has developed. Putting neurons, cycles and focus there, will produce much more than the static information coming at us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently Time Warner is also tossing out its dust-gathering magazines, announcing today that it's putting its Time, Inc properties on the chopping block. Jimmy, your post is so timely. The lack of time to read your mags is a sign of the times and a mark of the evolution of media. Need info? Grab it online. No need to dust or toss. Just hit delete and Google it later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Thank you for making me feel better about this. YES I save the copy to read 'later'. The new issue comes and I still haven't read the prior.

    So, cancelled my subscription to Inc and Entrepreneur. They gave it to me for free to keep me on their list. For media buyers, beware those distribution numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone. I just cancelled my subscription to Wired. I wonder what magazine is next?

    ReplyDelete