Thursday, May 31, 2012

Heads Down, Flying Fingers


Blink:
The average 13 to 17 year old exchanges 3,417 text messages per month (source: Nielsen).  Females in this age group on average fire out 4,050 per month.  That equates to approximately 7+ messages per waking hour or should I say per walking hour – heads down, flying fingers!

Read On:
The above statistics compares to the average text messages among all age groups of 1,406 (both male and female).  I text my fair share in a month, but I also realize that there are people out there that are texting twenty fold to balance out the statistics.  Why am I sharing this information with you?  Companies that are jumping on the mobile bandwagon recognize they need to implement several mobile initiatives (e.g., mobile app, mobile bar codes, augmented reality, etc.) to reach their consumers.  Text messaging (SMS) is still one of the most effective mediums to drive engagement and help marketers build a customer data base.  Prime example: smart market leader Starbucks.  They first engaged with their guests when they implemented an opt-in My Starbucks Rewards SMS program good for free drinks, refills and other perks.  They followed up by texting/promoting their Frappuccino Happy Hour.

So I suggest the next time you are in a Starbucks, go for it.  Treat yourself to a Frappuccino.  Get into SMS position – head down, flying fingers.  Text me and let me know you are k.

3 comments:

  1. Jimmy,

    One of the main stories in this morning's Boston Globe is about a young man being tried for texting while driving...which resulted in a fatality.

    Suppose he had been responding to a Marketing program, would the company be liable? As we start using these new tools unanticipated complications will need to be addressed.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole post is k+

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texting is dangerous, especially when autocorrect is enabled :)

    The Sbux experience is unique, and a true commentary on our need for social stimulation. After all, a cup o' joe in one's kitchen, accompanied by one's laptop, is essentially the same thing...but without the social stimulation.

    I personally find it impossible to concentrate on work at Starbucks, but I think I am in the minority, judging by the continuous stream of java-jiving customers at my local Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete