Companies currently planning their future social media initiatives are weighing the pros and cons of utilizing an in-house team, their agency of record, a social media consultant or a combination of all three – a hybrid approach. Regardless, all successful social media movements will need a conductor.
I am still exploring the new world of social media. Based on what I have experienced, I would like to share with you what I believe are the key character traits of a good social media conductor:
• Strategic Thinker – A good conductor has been classically trained, thus recognizes that social media is another marketing tool that will be integrated with the company’s current strategic initiatives to enhance its overall business. As a strategic thinker, a good conductor understands social media accord – the value of establishing rules of engagement, identifying the proper resources and messaging needed to clearly broadcast the company’s voice amongst all the social media clutter.
• Leadership – A good conductor orchestrates all the company’s social media players to collaborate effectively and create harmony. In addition, the conductor leads by example, thus engages with the company’s audience (a.k.a. community).
• Analytical – All social media movements must be measured. Consequently, a good conductor understands how to interpret the data, like reading a newspaper review the day after a performance and recognizes what is working, what is not working.
• Intellectual Curiosity – A good conductor stays informed because we live in a world dominated by technology and information that changes in nanoseconds.
• Improvises – A good conductor understands improvisation. Conductors play to their audience, they are flexible, thus able to switch gears when necessary.
I have named five character traits of a good social media conductor. Do you have any additional suggestions?