Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On The Twelfth Day of the New Year

Blink:
“Change demands a temporary surrender of security.” - Gail Sheehy

Read On:
The Philadelphia Sports Club was packed this morning. Made me realize it is that time of year when everyone begins adhering to their newly formulated New Year’s resolutions. I have been good for 12 days. However, being a marketing geek, when I got home, I decided to call some friends to survey what their top New Year’s resolutions were. Here is this year’s list of 12 resolutions to break:

1. I will start a new diet and this year is the year I stick to it 24/7/365.
2. I will go to the gym a minimum of three times a week.
3. I will finally quit smoking.
4. I will finally get my colonoscopy this year.
5. I will not bad mouth anyone.
6. I will remember all significant birthdays and anniversaries this year.
7. I will return all emails and phone calls on a timely basis.
8. I will not work on my computer after dinner.
9. I will not incur any late fees on my charge cards.
10. I will finally keep track of and utilize all my frequent flier miles

and credit card rewards.
11. I will get my car inspection on time.
12. I will not spend more than $100 a month at Starbucks.

7 comments:

  1. Jimmy,

    I don't buy into your listing. I am sure that some of your friends made resolutions to make the world a better place to live, the stop the growing hunger in our country and to our lives safer.

    Perhaps you can balance this list with another list that looks out, not in.

    Regards,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gymnasiums always see a surge in January that peters out by mid-February. At that point, sports medicine docs see a pickup in their business. Sorry to be a skeptic, but I don't believe in New Year's resolutions, seems silly to force ourselves into self-improvement mode one day per year. That is why it doesn't work - it is, in fact, forced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bob - actually the best way to "change the world" IS to change yourself.

    Best,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will remember to do a better job of thanking those who have been steady and true.

    Thank you, Jimmy! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to thank you all for your comments. I too do not believe in resolutions just like I think that New Years Eve is for amateurs. I just wanted to add a little levity since we are experiencing some turbulent times; flooding too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post as always.
    @Rebekah - I completely agree - great take on resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lead in quote. We should amend it with 'and that's what makes us grow'.
    XO

    ReplyDelete