Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Breaking the Code

Blink:
Switch, the new book by the Heath brothers, uses story-telling narrative, to illustrate transformative change. As a Business Catalyst, facilitating change is my mantra. Not an easy task, but it is all about breaking the code.

Read On:
I am heading to Chicago tomorrow for the National Restaurant Show. I will have the opportunity to share with my peers how foodservice needs to move from the status quo and enter the conversations that are going on out there, exclusively with their key customers guests’ conversations. As a result, foodservice must now focus on more “pull” versus “push” marketing strategies – execute
hybrid marketing, the topic of my last blog. So how am I going to break the code?

For starters, I am going to keep my message simple: social media is one new strategy that needs to be executed consistently in conjunction with a manufacturer’s current marketing mix. You do not have to be all things to all people. Explore and choose the platforms that works best for you (e.g., company blog, Facebook, YouTube, etc.).
It is never too late to implement a social media strategy.

Next, I plan to strike an emotional chord with my audience. I will benchmark success stories from other industries, as well as share some hypothetical examples based on my research. I will advocate “Baby Steps” since change represents a new way of thinking. Back in 1989, who would have guessed that Americans would be paying $3.00 for a cup of coffee – Starbucks anticipated.

Markets are composed of consumers; consumers have to eat in order to survive. Thanks to Web 2.0, consumers are sharing information online about what they eat, where they eat, even as I post this blog. These are the conversations we need to tap into. As I addressed in
The Waiting Place, stay away from the status quo and enjoy the places you will go.

Time to fly to Chicago and break the code.

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you in Chi-town and your outstanding breakfast. A treat for all involved. Break the breakfast code and serve lunch : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at the show Jimmy, hope it works out well for you. And now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Posted at 4:21am? You are an animal. Liked (and agreed with) your post. Let me know how I might help you in fine-tuning the SM element. I will be sure to send you my resource links from my talk at CRM. Break a leg...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your trip out here in Chi town Jim.
    Long live pull marketing :)
    Amir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimmy,
    Well said.....and written. Make this your best NRA ever!
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jimmy,

    Best of luck at the NRA show. In addition to "baby steps", I'd also encourage a focus on achieving small wins, instead of wanting to go for the big prize right from the start. That way, the changes you are pulling for will take hold better because people will see the value (ie, wins) very early on to keep motivated in going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimmy,

    Talk about the reviews in Yelp and how Starbucks is rewarding Foursquare "mayors."

    I will push back a little and say that while it may never be too late to adopt an integrated social media strategy, those that don't do it soon will lose to their competitors.

    Have a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M&Ms are collaborating with... P Diddy! Sean Combs in their favorite color campaign! If that's not cross marketing of the highest order across multiple media platforms, I don't know what is.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT3__NoBns8

    Looking forward to breakfast!

    Best,

    Parissa

    ReplyDelete