Monday, December 7, 2009

Orchestrated Chaos

Blink:
Have we become victims of the tyranny of technology?

Read On:
I was thumbing through the pages of my latest issue of Wired, when I became fixated on all the new mobile gear (a.k.a. gizmos) being marketed this holiday season. A netbook with 1 GB of RAM, 160-GB hard drive, 1.3-MP webcam, complete with a battery that lasts nine hours. Lightweight Bluetooth headphones with trouble-free call accept and in the words of the reviewer: “Awesome li-ion battery life – we got around six hours.” A self contained WiFi router (a.k.a. Portable Hot Spot), the same size of a stack of ten credit cards that fits in your pocket that can convert a 3G cellular signal into WiFi. Pages of 3G cellular phone ads all fighting for market share.

Detailed below are some of the things I began to think about after reviewing the new mobile gear:

1.) How many “Wired Road Warriors” will I encounter as I traverse around the country for my business in 2010? Will those I do encounter at least leave their gear in their rooms when they go out to dinner and socialize?

2.) Will all these devices mean that my communications will be returned on a timely/real time basis? Will I no longer receive out of the office, limited access to email messages?

3.) If everyone is wired, will I be able to connect my former way with the individual next to me on an airplane, in a waiting area during a flight delay, on a rental car bus, etc.? Something that personally resonates for me, given I got my job with the Quaker Oats Company in 1985 by sitting next to one of their key executives on a flight from New York to Chicago.

My query could go on, but the battery in my Dell computer is low. Therefore, I will conclude with one last thought. Are we wired to handle all this technology, thus become more productive or all our activity equates to orchestrated chaos?

3 comments:

  1. My answer: Both : ) When pressed for time, tech helps productivity. If you're not disciplined, it's a great time waster. However, the idea for marketing is that communication needs to be even more focused, relevant, and ON. Or be lost in the chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little cynical, Jimmy! But you are right...many are not using technology to assist their productivity, but as a barrier to human interaction. Shame on them. But many ARE using these tools effectively. Lets be among them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitely losing a key component of communication now that we're so wired. We're forgetting that at some point not too long ago we actually talked face to face not just typed. I wouldn't know what to say to someone on an airplane anymore!

    ReplyDelete