Friday, November 13, 2009

Speed Networking

Blink:
In my blog titled ATP posted November 1st (
http://smartketingreflections.blogspot.com/2009/11/atp.html),
I disclosed that when it comes to networking, I subscribe to the philosophy of going deep versus wide. Consequently, I had the curiosity to attend my first speed networking event in Philadelphia last night to learn more about this new phenomenon.

Read On:
Speed networking is a structured event where professionals can meet a large number of people in a relatively short period of time (usually less than five minutes per attendee interaction). Detailed below are some of the benefits:

1.
Reach a larger audience.
2. Connect with like minded professionals.
3. Exponentially expand your relationship capital.

Key learning last night:


???


Conclusion:

Scary stuff. My apologies, I could not resist since I am posting on Friday the 13th. Seriously, the speed networking event reminded me of the times I played musical chairs when I was a kid. I believe I will stay with my philosophy of going deep versus wide.

4 comments:

  1. I was reading with interest about speed networking, but you slammed the door on us! You should have commented on how it sucked, why it sucked, or what you liked about it. Do you have paraskevidekatriaphobia? Are you afraid of angering the Friday the 13th gods? That is the only explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is your philosophy for "going deep"? What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could imagine being spooked by speed networking. While I haven't attended an event, I could imagine the biggest benefit is forcing me to develop a compelling answer to "what do you do?" in less than 60 seconds. My biggest concern is that it would drive most people to focus on talking, rather than listening, and miss out on the biggest benefit of networking--understand how to help other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never attended a speednetworking event (or speed dating for that matter) and find the phenomenon puzzling as you do. Collect tons of business cards, make zero real connections. Maybe the benefit is more like 'lead generation'. Meet 50 people, of which 1 is a solid lead for the future? It's like watching a commercial on TV. But there is still the 'rule' of needing many touch-points before someone remembers.

    ReplyDelete