Monday, September 21, 2009

Tweeting Not So New

Blink:
People are talking about Twitter. Since its inception in 2006, critics have been trying to figure out the function of the micro-blogging service (140 characters max). Pear Analytics reported babble. Other marketers cite the potential value for promoting their businesses. Why all the buzz? People have been tweeting for centuries.

Read On:
I conducted an archeological dig to determine who were the first official tweeters. I learned that despite not benefiting from current technology, the first tweeters surfaced in Japan in the 1600’s, Matsuo Basho and Ueshima Onitsura who elevated a form of Japanese poetry now known as Haiku. Haiku consist of three cadenced phrases. The original content of most Japanese Haikus had seasonal reference, but evolved over time to other subjects as Western cultures adapted.

Personally I do not tweet yet. However, I have conducted market research over the past six months to get a better understanding for the potential business applications of tweeting, especially as it relates to new product introductions. Nevertheless, now that I know Haikus were the original tweets, I thought I take a stab at a few Haiku tweets.

Twitter is so, so cool
As I relax
Sitting by the pool

I love my iPhone
Drinking my Starbucks
Eating a scone

Season’s greetings
Crazy busy
Call you after my meetings

I’m mad about Haiku
Less than one-hundred forty characters
Do you tweet 2?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not an avid Tweeter yet, either. But it came in handy last Friday night.

    I was able to follow a high school football game right from my Twitter home page in the comfort of my living room just by following people tweeting events from the game....there were even pictures! It was awesome! I don't even know these people, but wanted to follow the game and found them online...amazing!

    The game was 40 miles away from where I live, sold-out, and un-televised (unless you subscribe to a particular sports cable package). It was on the radio, but I don't have one in my house and really wouldn't have wanted to listen to the play by play anyway.

    I can see this as a great way to share events that you can't attend because you live too far away from family or friends....graduations, birthdays, whatever.

    Can you translate that into a Haiku?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Haiku poetry. Perfect for the ADD generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tweet, and I like haiku, too. My haiku for you:

    Informative blog
    Engaging, entertaining
    Write more . . . I will read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twittering is more
    Than the characters placed there
    There is nothing else

    ReplyDelete